11.14.2011

Santa Barbara Half Marathon

So back in September, Preston's Mom, Karlyn, called us up and asked if we wanted to run a half marathon in Santa Barbara. My first thought was "Uhhh, yeah, right, like that's going to happen." But after thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that this was a good idea and would be good for me. And Preston decided to do it with me, too. So the next day, we went out and bought new running shoes and got training.

On Friday, we flew out to LA to run the half marathon. I was really nervous. I hadn't trained as much as I would have liked and I still didn't think of myself as a runner. But Saturday morning came and there was really no way around it: I was running 13.1 miles that day whether I liked it or not. Thankfully, the rain that had been in the forecast didn't end up happening and it was a beautiful day in Santa Barbara. The scenery probably really doesn't get much better. The last mile or so is right along the coast. The whole area is just heaven. We rain through pretty wooded areas, a strawberry field, and some cute neighborhood streets lined with residents in lawn chairs cheering us on. One way or another, I made it through and crossed the finish line. And all I could think was "I have to sit down." So I sat down right there on the track as we waited for the rest of the runners in our group to finish.

If you would have asked me if I would do it again in the future on Saturday, I probably would have said no. But I think I will try it again. And I think I'll train more this time. :)



Preston and I just after I finished the race. Preston crossed the finish line about a minute before me. We had no idea we were so close at the end.



All the runners after finishing. Preston, Karlyn and I did the half, and Ben ran the FULL marathon. This was right after he came across the finish line.



The three half-ers while we were waiting for Ben to finish.



Preston was the first to finish.



And this picture sums up how my body felt afterwards...:)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so exciting!! Congrats! I could never do that.

Godfrey's said...

No way Linds you are amazing! Congrats girl! I look up to you for this! :)

mia said...

Go Lindsay!! That's so awesome! Our family did that exact race a few years ago when Matthew lived there- it's beautiful! I loved it! Congrats!

Briann said...

that's awesome!