4.27.2010

Summer Goals

Preston and I have a few summer goals. We kinda realized that we are getting...a little chubby, so we are doing a little bit of a lifestyle change in our eating habits and exercise.

1) Cook dinner every night at home. This would be hard if I didn't have a husband who is competent in the kitchen and can help me with meals at night. I also really enjoy trying new recipes, so I'll have fun with it. I'm not an amazing chef by any means, but I can follow a recipe. That's about it.

2) Going to the gym 4 times a week.

3) Cutting out sweets. The biggest part of that for me will be cutting out soda. No more DP for me. :(

So yesterday we went shopping for our first week of meals. Here's a run down of what we will be making this week.

Last Night: Spaghetti and Meatballs with French Bread. Recipe here.



The rest of the week:
Chili Lime Mango Skewers and Cilantro-Lime rice
HERE and HERE



French Dip Sandwiches
Here



Teriyaki Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Here



Burgers
(Recipe in a cookbook)

Spinach and Feta Pasta
here



Chicken Enchiladas
(Recipe in cookbook)

Sides with these meals will most likely be a spinach salad of some kind because we have a bunch of leftover spinach right now.

Of course, these recipes may be spaced out a little more because we will have leftovers that we can eat on nights in between, but we are going to plan for 7 meals at a time, and shop again when we are out of meals.

As you can tell, this week's recipes came from Our Best Bites. This blog has a bunch more recipes that I'm sure we will be trying later.

I about died when we went to the grocery store and bought all the ingredients. Next week I'll work on doing recipes with fewer/cheaper ingredients. We rationalized this by saying that we will never eat out. Eating out one time with the two of us is usually $20+, so in the end, we will be saving money. Should be pretty fun, we will see how long we can keep this up. If you have any recipes that are cheap and tasty...let me know!

2 comments:

AdrianneJayne said...

Yayy! I have been working on cooking meals at home too. I got pretty lax during the heat of the semester (projects due, finals, etc).. but now I have a little more motivation! One of my sister's friends (and now mine) started a food blog, and I have been making all of my meals from the recipes she's posted. They are aaaamazing! And she is always posting ways to make them healthier! I highly recommend it! Plus, I only had to buy a couple new ingredients, and now I can use them in several of the recipes!
http://lindstewfoodies.blogspot.com/

p.s. the "Asian Dinners" section is amazing! Love the coconut curry, the bourbon chicken, and trying the lemon chicken tomorrow!

Bonnie said...

Yay for blogging! I'm jealous of your bowling trophies!

Aaron and I are pretty good about eating in, but I'm not good at planning meals. Sometimes we eat a chicken breast and call it a night, so this is one of my projects as well!

I for one love this crockpot site